RE: How much space needed for a web server install?

I had the Turbolinux base install down to 85 megs when it was under my
control, so even with normal inflation of glibc and such I wouldn't think
that it would need to be much more than that now.  FreeBSD's base install is
under 100 megs or so, IIRC.

If Redhat's base is that big, then they're being dumbasses, IMHO.  I think
TurboLinux started doing that too, after I left.  I always thought that
there should at least be options to cater to advanced users that want a
minimal install and then do things "their way" from that point on.  Probably
Chris Sekiya's influence on me :)

AFAICT the only distro that still caters to the Old Guard UNIX types is
Debian.  And, admittedly, I still can't get dselect to do what I want it to
do.  Consequently I mostly use FreeBSD now, although I do keep Linux around
on my firewall[1][2] and on my laptop[3].

--Scott

[1] it had linux on it from before I got into BSD, and I didn't want to
reinstall BSD on it.
[2] yes, it's running 2.4 with iptables and it's pretty dang secure, I think
:)
[3] has cardbus ethernet, dont feel like running the devel version of
freeBSD.  stable freeBSD does not support 32-bit cardbus yet.  wait for 5.0.
then it'll have nsswitch and cardbus.  happy day.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Senior Technical Consultant - UNIX and Networking
Taos, the Sysadmin Company - Santa Clara, CA