How much space needed for a web server install?

I just installed RH 7.1 on an old PC to use as an intranet web server.
However it seemed that a basic install (minus a few packages like emacs)
still takes about 600 Mbytes. I would have taken more packages out but I'm
not sure what they all are or which I will need.

Does 600Mb sound right? I was hoping for something smaller ... Considering I
only gave my / partition 600 of space this is cuting it too close ...

My HD is only 1.5 Gbytes so I decided on 600 for /, 700 for /www (will hold
all the internal web pages) and the rest for swap /boot and /var.

Any way for me to make the install smaller? Or am I asking for too much.

Jc