RE: Java in ja_JP environment

> If all you did to bash was to change the LANG, then try changing
> it back to whatever it was before launching java to see if it works.
> perhaps try...
>
> $ LANG=en_US /usr/java/j2sdk1.3.0/bin/java -version
Yep. I know for sure it's because of the LANG setting.
Java works fine when I set LANG back to en_US.

> An update...
>
> Have a read of:
>
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4415774.html
>
> Especially towards the end of the page, there are solutions with
> make running sun java 1.3.1 on 7.1 look possible. Haven't tried
> it though...
Yeah, I've checked it out before. I think there were some temporary
fixes by putting older version of libc and make a soft link blah...

Well, since I thought Blackdown to be a good alternative, I'm just
using it instead..
www.blackdown.org

N e wayz.. I still don't know what to do yet. I'm suspecting maybe
it's the setting in JVM since it works when I change the codeset,
like LANG=ja_JP.JIS7 or ja_JP.SJIS
However, if I do this, all the stuff in X causes messed up jp fonts...

I wonder if there's a way to use Japanese fonts without setting LANG
or locale to jp, since all I do in using Japanese is to type Japanese
in web browser and write e-mail in Japanese.

-mune