Re: Ergonomic keyboards

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 04:00:12AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Oops ... forgot to ask what people's recommendations on an ergonomic
> keyboard would be also?

I've tried several:

  BTC 8120 -- great idea, but poor keyswitches
    It looks rather like a Microsoft Natural Keyboard that has
    been sawed in half so the angle of the two pieces can be
    adjusted to fit your wrists/arms.  Each section also has
    four adjustable feet so that the tilt of the section is
    extremely adjustable.  The disadvantage is the keyswitches
    have an extremely light feel, and after significant use,
    are prone to bouncing.   About Y4000 in Akihabara 3 years
    ago.

  Infogrip BAT -- fine for plain text entry
    One hand chording keyboard that is fine for entering plain
    text, but a pain to use with XEmacs or jed since it takes
    a chord for control followed by a chord for the character.
    But if you are writing a plain text document, it seems to
    encourage a rather nice rhythm with very little hand stress.
    Y5000 in Akihabara because T-Zone was closing them out.
    Considerably more "retail."
    http://www.infogrip.com/product_view.asp?RecordNumber=12&sbcolor=%23FF9966&option=keyboard&subcategory=&CatTxt=&optiontxt=Keyboard

  Kinesis Ergo Elan -- my current main choice
    This is the oddly shaped keyboard with cup-shaped depressions
    for the keys operated by each hand.  It rearranges your
    typing so that some of the oft used keys (like enter,
    backspace, ctrl, alt) are hit with your thumbs.  All keys
    are programmable so it is easy to move things around. The rows
    of keys are vertical rather than slanted... which also takes
    some getting used to... especially since this forces some
    changes on the layout (like 6 on the right hand, +/= on
    the left, etc.)  The biggest disadvantage is the cheap
    and tiny chiclet keys across the top for Esc and the
    F1-F12 function keys.  I remap Esc to one of the keys
    under a thumb and never use the Fn keys.
    A frighteningly expensive Y26,800 at Plat'home... but what
    can I say, my little finger no longer hurts after a day of
    pounding away.  I still can't believe I paid that for a
    keyboard though.  I still don't have a second one for home,
    and much to my surprise, adapting from Kinesis to "normal"
    isn't bad.
    http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/

  Handykey Twiddler -- only a reasonable choice if mobility is
    a requirement
    http://www.handykey.com/

--
Jim Tittsler