Re: Tokyo high-speed access

Stephen Lee <sl@example.com> wrote:
> Simon Cozens <simon@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > Tokyo High Speed Internet FAQ
> >     [You write this!]
>
> 2.1 INS64 & INS64-Lite
>
> INS64-Lite is the same as INS64; the difference is political, and lies in
> whether you want to purchase the <insert official name for 'Kanyu-Ken'
> here>.  Kanyu-Ken is madatory for analog phone lines; without it NTT will
> not provide you service.  You also need it for INS64 service.  However,
> INS64-Lite service does not require it, at the expense of higher monthly
> cost.
>
> <insert section about cost here>

See <http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/ISDN/e_page/e_page13.html>.

                Analog          INS64           INS64-Lite
One-time fees
Installation    varies          varies          varies
Contract           800             800               0
Subscription    72,000          72,000               0

Monthly fee
Business         2,600(*)        3,630           4,270
Residential      1,750(*)        2,830           3,470

(*) can be less depending on area.

> 2.2 Flet's ISDN
>
> For a monthly
> fee of X,xxxY NTT gives you a special dial-up number which you can call
> for free.

The monthly fee is 3,600yen.

> > 4.0 ADSL
>
> As far as I know, all ADSL vendors rent their line from NTT; some provide
> their own equipment and some uses NTT's.  No matter which vendor you
> choose, there are two options: with or without analog phone service.  ADSL
> is a data-only service.  If you want telephone service on the same line as
> well, you will need Kanyu-ken (78,000Y from NTT, less from stores)

Should have been 72,000Y.

> >     4.1 NTT-ME
> >
> >     4.2 Tokyo Metallic
>
> 4.3 e-Access
>
> 4.4 Flet's ADSL
>
> There are other ADSL providers, but I don't remember them off-hand.

4.5 ODN J-DSL plan

By Japan Telecom.

http://www.odn.ne.jp/infoodn/j-dsl/

Up to 1.5Mbps down/512kbps up.
Connect by 10base-T ethernet.
1 Dynamic, global IP.

		Type 1 (*)	Type 2
Installation     6,600Y		 5,800Y
Monthly          5,700Y		 7,500Y

(*) with analog phone service (separate charge)

4.6 OCN ADSL access ACCA plan

By NTT communications.

http://www.ocn.ne.jp/adsl/acca/

Up to 1.5Mbps down/512kbps up.
Connect by USB (USB-type).
Connect by 10base-T ethernet (router-type).
No mention about IP addresses.

		Type 1 (*)	Type 2
Installation    27,800Y		27,000Y
Monthly          5,700Y		 7,600Y

(*) with analog phone service (separate charge)

4.7 Broadband DION ADSL course

By KDDI.

http://www.dion.ne.jp/dialup/service/adsl/

Up to 1.5Mbps down/512kbps up.
Connect by USB (USB-type).
Connect by 10base-T ethernet (router-type).
No mention about IP addresses.

		Type 1 (*)	Type 2
Installation     6,600Y		 5,800Y
Monthly          5,700Y		 7,600Y

(*) with analog phone service (separate charge)

4.8 So-net ADSL course

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/access/high/adsl/index.html

Up to 1.5Mbps down/512kbps up.
Connect by USB (USB-type).
Connect by 10base-T ethernet (router-type).
Dynamic IP address.

		Type 1 (*)	Type 2
Inst. (USB)     19,800Y		19,800Y
Inst. (Router)  32,800Y		32,800Y
Monthly          5,800Y		 7,600Y

(*) with analog phone service (separate charge)

> > 5.0 Cable Modem
> >
> >     5.1 Tokyu Cable
>
> 6.0 Fiber to the home (FTTH)
>
> 6.1 NTT's FTTH

Is right now in testing, and will be rolled out later this year as
B-Flet's.  Courses will vary from 10Mbps to 100Mbps.

> 6.2 Yusen's FTTH

6.2 Usen's Broad-Gate01 Home100 service

Not all of the 23-ward is covered.  You can check for coverage on this
page.

http://www.usen.com/gate01/

100Mbps up/down.
Connect by 100base-T (10base-T is not supported).
1 or more (5 currently, but not guaranted) static, global IP addresses.
6-month contract at least.

Installation    33,000
Monthly          6,100