Re: Tokyo high-speed access

Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote:
> Stephen Lee (sl@example.com) wrote:
>
> > It is indeed rumored that NTT might offer ADSL/ISDN or SDSL/ISDN with
> > ISDN encapsulated over DSL, so it is not as implausible as you think.
>
> You could encapsulate ISDN over DSL, yes, but that would be silly.

I'm just relaying what I've heard, I'm not saying whether it is a good
idea or not.  Nevertheless, I think there are political reasons why NTT
might want to offer such a service (e.g. for INS64-lite users).

> WRT Flet's DSL, they might share the same data network at some point.
> OCN/Flet's is frame relay, and somewhere beyond that would
> connect into NTT's main backbones, but I would not expect any
> interaction between the OCN network and the DSL network per se.

I'm not familiar with OCN.  As for Flet's ISDN & Flet's ADSL, their
architecture are pretty similar once you get to the CO.  Both uses the
'Local IP Network' to connect to the ISPs and the same protocol for
authentication.  See

http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/flets/naiyo.html
http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/flets/adsl/naiyo.html

It is said that B-Flet's, NTT's FTTH service, will use the same Local IP
Network.

> Flet's DSL is a marketing term rather than a technical one.

The part where you get to the Local IP Network is vastly different.  But
the Local IP Network architecture AFAIK is shared by all the Flet's
services, so IMO it is not merely a marketing term, at least so far.

Stephen