Re: Firewall setting

> Funny. It showed up as a new thread for me.
>
> asz
>
> Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
> > Before I get answer, please start a new thread when
> > changing topics, don't just change the subject.  For
> > those with email clients that do threading, it creates
> > an ugly mess if you don't.  The same mess is created
> > in the TLUG archive, which also does threading. As
> > a result, your message will ever after appear in
> > the thread under dhcp servers that was previously
> > being discussed.

There are two kinds of threading--"Subject:" based, and "References:"
based. [1] Your mail reader is using the former method. If you use mail readers
that support References: based threading, like mutt or gnus, you'll understand
what Jonathan is talking about.

Mailers using the "Subject:" method simply sorts messages based on
the "Subject:" line. The "References:" method, on the other hand, constructs
a tree of messages that show which message is in response to which.
The References: method is slower and can become confused by messages from
broken MUA's and non-conforming participants, but it gives you more information
than the former.

You can cope with TLUG's mailing list using Subject: line threading because it
is relatively small; if you try to do the same thing with, say, the Linux
kernel mailing list or a medium-sized discussion newsgroup, you'll lose control
very quickly. Try using a threading mail reader to track mailing lists
for a while. You'll never want to go back.

Shimpei.

[1] Technically speaking, "Subject:" based isn't even true threading....