firewall acting strange ...

After much help from Svend I've finally been able set up a laptop with
freeBSD to act as a firewall. Everything was working fine until I
accidentally deleted my /etc/rc.conf file. ARGH!! (Sorry Svend!)

I've put everything I can think off back into rc.conf but I'm still having
problems. Firstly when I boot the boot sequence freezes at this step:

starting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmail

I can only get the boot sequence to keep going if I press CTRL-C.

I have a gol DSL connection using a router-type modem. I used to be able to
ping my router but no more ...

Here's a copy of my rc.conf file. Can anyone think of what's missing?

pccard_enable="YES"
gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ed2"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_flags="-dynamic"
firewall_script="/etc/firewall/rules.conf"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ifconfig_ed1="DHCP"
ifconfig_ed2="inet 192.168.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="172.25.0.1"
hostname="pc98150.jc.com"