Re: Tokyo high-speed access

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 03:34:03PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
[snip]
> You could, in theory, also encapsulate DSL over ISDN with the proper
> hardware, but that would be even sillier, since your DSL would
> then be limited to less than 128 kbps max theoretical throughput
> (less due to encapsulation overhead), and you'd still have to pay for
> it by the minute, since the underlying level would be ISDN.  If you
> find anybody who wants this, I have some swampland and some shares
> in famous bridges that I'd like to sell them :-)
IDSL. Speed is fixed at 128Kbps.  Makes sense for NTT to be using this since
a) they suck b) Hey it's buzzword compliant and c) it can go up to 50,000ft
from the CO.

It's *old* though, and Lucent removed the FAQ.
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.lucent.com/ins/products/multidsl/idsl_c.html+IDSL&hl=en

> I have not heard of anyone manufacturing hardware that will encapsulate
> ISDN over DSL or vise versa.  Anyone else?
Lucent Stinger DSLAMs support this.
http://www.lucent.com/products/solution/0,,CTID+2007-STID+10036-SOID+788-LOCL+1,00.html

Motorola Vanguard 65 (Apparently discontinued) is designed for this.

--
Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group / SIGUSR1 R&D

PGP signature