Re: Tokyo high-speed access

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:24:51 +0900
Jack Morgan <jack@example.com> wrote:

>      5.2 Jcom (Urawa) [1]
>
> They use @example.com for their upstream connectivity. Monthly free is around Y6,000
> for internet, Y9,800 for internet and cable T.V. You receive one "Dynamic"
> IP but I found my IP could forward and reverse lookup, eg USERID.urawa1.kt.home.ne.jp
> I nerver had a chance to test setting up a server and doing IP masquerating
> because I moved to tokyo :-(
> Found speeds of 700 Kbps down.
>
> BTW, Tokyo classified just ran an article covering this topic.
> http://www.tokyoclassified.com/tokyofeaturestories/tokyofeaturestoriesinc.htm
>

> [1] note Jcom Urawa and Jcom Tokyo are two different companies.
>
> JMorgan

Hi,
same also for Kanagawa/Yokosuka/Zushi area. Served by cable TV provider CATY (www.caty.co.jp), likely the whole Miura-Hanto and Shonan up to Fujisawa and Chigasaki. Connects to J-COM@example.com (J-COM Shonan). Although the service is generally in Japanese, they provided an installation instruction in English, and have two English speaking technicians.
Standard is 1 public IP address via DHCP, more addresses can be ordered, Terayon cable modem used.
Recently I made a FTP download from a site in Kyoto with 80kB/s, measuring with bandwidth sites mentioned in ealier postings reveal very strange results: one site displayed a down stream speed higher than T1. Anyway, it is fast enaugh for SWR3 radio from Germany :-).
Greetings from the beach,
Ralf