Re: Tokyo high-speed access

Heya,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 01:35:43PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
> It's that time again. Can anyone suggest any updates to this? (I'm starting
> to get people asking me awkward questions about it, and I don't know what
> to say. :) Any more cable modem systems out there? Anyone want to tell me
> about ISDN?
Sure.

> 2.0 ISDN
NTT's Flets ISDN service is a mixed bag.  On one hand it's a nice and affordable
flat rate ISDN service, available basically anywhere.  Unfortunately,
"Affordable" in this context is in comparison to OCN.  It'll come down to
around 8000 yen a month (although rates are supposedly decreasing).
I'm also having some issues with NTT weirdness with the connection I'm getting
namedly NTT seems to be using a weird hardware encapsulation with PPP packets
and HDLC.  It's not that big of an issue when I'm using a NTT MN128 Terminal
Addapter (just the matter of having the computer use the right AT command
before dialing since it seems to be done by the hardware), however this means
that my Japan certified Cisco 1003 will not work.  NTT certifies some routers
though.

Speeds are what you'd expect from a single ISDN B channel, being at around 6K/s
on a good day.  (The IP address is dynamically asigned but not NATed meaning
you could in theory run services and use a dynamic DNS serivce).

Yours,

--
Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group / SIGUSR1 R&D