Re: ADSL problems with LAN hub

>> From: "Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jean_christian@example.com>
>>
>> I have set up my ADSL with a router-type modem and have working nicely. Now
>> I am trying to have two PCs use by connecting them to a LAN hub and the hub
>> to the ADSL modem. But no go ...

Uh. Both using the same IP address? Does your ADSL provide multiple IP
addresses on demand?

>> I've tried using a crossover and a straight cable for the ADSL router to hub
>> connection (and straight cables to connect the PCs to the hub) but I can't
>> get it to work. What am I doing wrong? Could it be that the router doesn't
>> like my hub? Should I get a new hub?

Back in Oz I have a hub downsteam from my cable modem. It works fine
ONLY because I have subscribed for a second IP address. If I hadn't done
that (and paid for it - about Y650/mo extra) the server upstream would
have ignored further DHCP requests once it had served out the first one.
Perhaps this is what is happening to you.

The other way is use IP masquerading. The Buffalo "router"/modem does this
AFAIK. Is this what you are trying to do?

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of