Mutt and Japanese

Hello,

I am trying to get Mutt working with Japanese and have got part of the
way there but still no real joy....

I have Japanese working on my SUSEPPC iMac and have set the character
set in my muttrc to the appropriate Japanese charset.  I am told that
messages in Japanese that I send can be read fine, but if I send a
message to myself, it is just a series of question marks when I view it
in Mutt.  If I set the charset to a western charset and send a japanese
message, the recipient cannot read it but I can read such messages in Mutt.

strange indeed.  or am i the fool??

any thoughts on this predicament would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Joss