Re: jvim

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

>     SN> Sorry, I misinterpreted which kind of "console" he meant.
>     SN> Right, if X isn't active, then it will be necessary to use kon
>     SN> and uum, or some other method.
>
> Oh, yeah, that's a good point.  Tobias does need to get kon (and I
> think there's a Japanese framebuffer console application now, which
> might be a nicer substitute).
>
>     SN> Red Hat 7J doesn't include the uum command (though it includes
>     SN> the uum manual page and several related commands) and I keep
>     SN> forgetting to search for it elsewhere, so I haven't tested
>     SN> this yet.  Sorry.
>
> uum is usually only necessary if you need to use Wnn in the shell (eg
> for Japanese file names, I've never heard of an app invoked with
> kanji, not to imply that there isn't one, though).

It is possible to input Japanese into vim on the console using canuum
or uum. First start kon of jfbterm to enable Japanese display on
the console:

    ~$ kon

Then start canuum, which opens a new subshell capable of Japanese
input:

    ~$ canuum -u

Finally start vim in the canuum shell:

    ~$ vim

But doing Japanese input that way is *very* inconvenient.

> AFAIK all Canna-enabled apps talk directly to the Canna server, as
> do most Wnn clients.

Using a client which can talk directly to the Canna server like XEmacs
is much better. nvi-m17n can also talk directly to the Canna server and
there has been a patch for a very old version of vim which could do
that as well.

The default key to switch into Japanese input mode for Canna is
Control-o (if you have not created a ~/.canna and changed this
default). Under X11 with kinput2, you can use Control-o as an
alternative to Shift-Space, it also switches on XIM. This is quite
inconvenient when using the direct Canna interface of XEmacs,
because C-o is also used for widening the henkan region, i.e.
using the defaults you cannot widen the henkan region with the
native XEmacs <-> Canna interface, as it switches on XIM instead.
Therefore, it is a good idea to remove the Control-o binding
by editing ~/.canna. For kinput2 you don't need it anyway,
as you can use Shift-Space. But there are some other
applications like nicolatter which only use the keybindings from
~/.canna.

The canna default C-o seems to be hardwired in nvi-m17n, this
vi clone always uses C-o to switch on its native Canna interface,
no matter what is written into ~/.canna.

I don't know about jvim, but I guess that it will also use C-o,
at least when this binding has not been changed in ~/.canna.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian