Re: Keyboard

Christopher SEKIYA wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 05:37:00AM +0900, SN_Diamond wrote:
>
> > A USB to PS/2 adapter cannot work for a keyboard because the protocol is
> > more complicated and the scancodes for keys differ between USB keyboards
> > and PS/2 keyboards.
>
> *chuckle* Want to bet?  I have such an adapter.  If it did not work, I would
> not be able to type this.  Most (all?) of the USB keyboards that I've seen
> include such an adapter.

OK, you haven't seen the two I've used, and I haven't seen most or all of
the ones you've seen.

> The protocols are different, yes, but the keyboard can tell what it's plugged
> into and adjusts its behaviour accordingly.

So they're smarter than most OSes and BIOSes?  Interesting.  Not impossible
of course, since most OSes are pretty stupid regarding such matters, and
I've seen some stupid BIOSes too though in this case it's not really their
fault (when the OS says that it wants to take control of the USB devices, it
is correct for the BIOS to relinquish).  But I didn't know keyboards had
*that* many smarts.  Maybe I should find a computer with a PS/2 port, attach
an adapter to one of the USB keyboards that I've used, and see if the
keyboard really is that smart.