Re: Keyboard

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> I am thinking of buying a japanese keyboard,
> ergonomical keyboard such as the Microsoft Natural

Microsoft Natural keyboards are available.  I don't remember the cost.

> It should have a PS/2 connector (USB with adaptor to PS/2 would
> probably be even better...).

A USB to PS/2 adapter can work for a mouse because the protocol used by a
mouse is simple enough.  A USB to PS/2 adapter cannot work for a keyboard
because the protocol is more complicated and the scancodes for keys differ
between USB keyboards and PS/2 keyboards.

(Some BIOSes for machines with USB keyboards provide emulation of PS/2
keyboards.  That does take some coding in the BIOS.  Also the BIOS stops
emulating when then OS detects the USB devices.  After emulation stops, the
effects include:
[1]  When a Microsoft blue screen says "press any key to continue",
keypresses are ignored because Microsoft's USB drivers are inactive,
Control-Alt-Delete is ignored because the BIOS isn't emulating, so the
computer has to be powered off and powered back on again.
[2]  Red Hat Linux 7.0J cannot be installed because the installer detects
the USB devices but doesn't understand the USB keyboard.  Depending on the
method of installation, sometimes the keyboard gets to make one input before
the installer detects the USB devices; other times the mouse can be used but
the mouse can't input text when necessary.  Actually the installer works
with some USB keyboards but not with others.)

> Of course one can buy that in any computer shop, right ?

Yes.  PS/2 keyboards can be bought for around 1,000 yen at some places in
Akihabara.  I think I've seen USB keyboards for 3,000 yen.  I don't recall
the cost of a Microsoft Natural keyboard though.

Yours sincerely,
Norman Diamond