Re: Meadow: Can't display Japanese characters

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:02:23PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Philip> I have been trying without success to get Meadow to
>     Philip> display Japanese characters properly on my Win98
>     Philip> machine. I am seeing empty square boxes instead of the
>     Philip> characters.
>
> AFAIK Meadow is still experimental software.  I have no idea whether
> the development is active at the moment.  You'd be better off trying
> to fix the problem with the Meadow mailing list, unless you get very
> lucky: I have never heard of any Meadow users on this list.

<raises hand>

I have a working Meadow setup on my work laptop (it runs 98, not NT, but the
setup was copied pretty much verbatim from my NT workstation). I do remember
having this problem initially, and visiting several web sites looking for the
correct elisp black magic to fix this. I'll post my Meadow .emacs file
tomorrow if a) I remember, and b) the stomach flu I'm suffering from right now
doesn't keep me away from work.

> Why do you need Meadow?  In what ways are GNU Emacs/NT or XEmacs for
> NT insufficient?

Does GNU emacs or xemacs for NT support Windows IME? I've been happy enough
with Meadow that I haven't bothered checking recently. If they don't, that's
a big strike against them.

It's true that Meadow doesn't appear to have had a stable release in a long
time, but the current version is reasonably stable, and putting up with
Internet Explorer all day makes you very skeptical of the benefits of frequent
updates....

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/