Re: How to automate email retrieval

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 05:43:57AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> >Yup.  Do something like `fetchmail -d 120'.
>
> I've gotten fetchmail to work as a daemon, but I don't think this means it
> gets restarted when the machine reboots or keep going when you logout or
> even that it restarts itself it it dies for some reason.
>
> I'm new to linux sysadmin and I'm just wondering what is the "proper" way of
> getting fetchmail to always be up and running as a deamon. If it to ask each
> user to make a cron job or is there some way I can do this as root and have
> fetchmail run system wide for each user?

On my own systems, I figure that if I don't have a session running on a
machine, I don't need to be fetching my mail to it.  For terminal sessions,
this means putting a fetchmail invocation into .bash_profile.  For X, I use
WindowMaker, so I have a file GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart,
containing:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Place applications to be executed when WindowMaker is started here.
# This file must be executable
#
fetchmail

Hope this helps,