DNS woes

Another sysadmnin type question/problem.

So far I have been using a linux machine without any DNS running (had no
need for it). But yesterday I gave my box the ip of the DNS server (my
ISP's) because I needed it to use DNS to resolve the POP mail server's
address.

But now I find that when I ping any machine (even ones on my subnet) the
ping takes forever. Even if I ping using the ip address and not the name.
I've narrowed the problem down to the DNS since when I remove the DNS
entries from resolv.conf my ping problems go away. Seems that when I use
ping it tries to resolve the ip address to a name. So for some reason
accessing the DNS server is taking a long time ....

Could this be because none of the machines I ping have names?

Could anyone tell me why this problem is occuring and how I can fix it?
(Aside from removing DNS services).

Jc