Re: How to automate email retrieval

Tobias Diedrich <ranma@example.com> writes in tlug@example.com:

> shimpei@example.com wrote:
>> Once you get fetchmail to work, you need to make it run automatically.
>> fetchmail isn't capable of running itself as a daemon (background process),
>> so you need to tell the "cron" daemon to invoke it every so often.
>> To find out how, do

> Hmm. At least my version of fetchmail (5.4.0) can run as a daemon ^_^

Yup.  Do something like `fetchmail -d 120'.

> Oh, and if your provider supports it you should use the ssl option.
> If you don't know just try it, either it works or it does not work. ^_-

You can also use ssh.  The configuration looks something like:

poll mail.turbolinux.co.jp port 41235 via localhost with proto pop3:
        user steve there has password "NOTAREALPASSWORD"
        preconnect "ssh -f -L 41235:mail.turbolinux.co.jp:110 mail.turbolinux.co.jp sleep 20 </dev/null >/dev/null"