Re: How to create kanji TIFFs?

On second look the gs-Strategy did not seem to be so complicated as
well:

> gs -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -sDEVICE=tiff -sOutputFile=kanji0.tif kanji0.ps -c
> quit
>
> where kanji0.ps is
>
> %! PS-Adobe-2.0
> 144 /Ryumin-Light-H findfont exch scalefont setfont
> 100 100 moveto
> (C88E) show showpage

But unfortunately I got the following error:

	 Unknown device: tiff

A look in the man-pages did not enlighten me, since there was talk about
printers ...

So I went back to the perl-version and tried:

> (a) if you are only doing a few images, load up the gif in xv and save
> it back on top of itself. xv will fix it.

Success!!

Then I tried:

> (b) longer term, pass the gif through another utility like gif2png,
> then do the pngtopnm/pnmtotiff chain. You may have to grab gif2png from
> somewhere, and also install libpng, although I think it's fairly
> standard these days. You need to see a parameter to tell gif2png to
> ignore errors.

I tried to "use option -r to recover 1 complete image", but still got:

	 gif2png: EOF / read error on image data

Any ideas what else I could try for automation? Thanks a lot as always,

Uli