Re: How to create kanji TIFFs?

Ulrike Schmidt <ulrike@example.com> writes:

> I have to create some pictures of kanji in TIFF format. Any hints about
> which tool I might use for that? According to the gimp-FAQ Japanese
> fonts seem not to be supported.

If gimp doesn't support Japanese fonts, you can make screenshots
of other applications showing Japanese.

How big do you want the Kanji? You can create nice big ones by
using a Japanese capable LaTeX (CJK-LaTeX or pLaTeX) and making
screen shots of the postscript files viewed with Ghostscript.

If the X11 bdf/pcf fonts are big enough (I think the biggest Japanese
font in the GNU intlfonts package is 48 pixel) you can also
make screenshots of any X11 application using Japanese fonts, for
example (X)Emacs.

Jeffrey Friedels Japanese dictionary server (EDICT www interface)
also gives bitmaps of Kanji up to 48 pixel:

http://enterprise.dsi.crc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>