Re: pine & japanese

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 12:34:30PM +0900, Jim Breen wrote:
> >> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:49:54 +0100 (CET)
> >> From: Tobias Diedrich <ranma@example.com>
> >>
> >> Oh well, I guess I'll have to go with mutt then...
> >> And there I was just getting used to pine ^_^
>
> Has mutt improved any with Japanese? I looked closely at mutt about a
> year ago when the old "mush" I used collapsed with a Y2K problem. Mutt
> turned out to be incapable of handling ISO-2022 properly and insisted on
> whacking "US-ASCII" and "ISO-8859-1" in MIME headers. I stirred things
> on their newsgroup and eventually got a rather hacky patch that
> partially fixed things, but the developers said the whole multi-lingual
> handling needed a rework, as it was turning into patch-upon-patch.
>
> Has it been fixed? Is it worth revisiting when I return to Oz?

Well, the copy of mutt-jp (1.0.1i-jp) I'm currently using does put
"charset=iso-2022-jp" in the headers when I send out mail in Japanese, so at
least that problem seems to be solved, assuming that the whole -jp concept
isn't too hackish for you to begin with. If you don't use any language
besides English and Japanese, it's fine. I don't know about other languages.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/