Re: "My Kanpo" open law project

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 12:26:37PM +0900, Jim Breen wrote:

> >>   http://www.nomolog.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~bennett/rippinhood/
>
> Looks very good. Once it's public I can see there'll be quite some
> interest in it.
>
> What's the "[badchar]" problem. PDF-funnies?

Ah.  The PDF is CID encoded.  I hacked in EUC mappings to cope with the
special vertical-text characters (I noticed that that came up in a recent
GhostScript-related post as well) used by Adobe.  But CID also offers a lot of
rare glyphs that don't have direct EUC-JP mappings.  That, and some other
characters just seem to get hosed by xpdf's mapping algorithm.  The converter
calls iconv to attempt a conversion to Unicode and back after the text stream
has been more or less tidied up; each character that causes iconv to whinge
gets clobbered and is replaced with that string. Shameless and crude, but an
"effective" fix-it-later solution.  Good enough for proof of concept, which is
what this suite is aiming for.