Re: Tiresome not-even-newbie question

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 12:21:14AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Well, at least I haven't sent the reply card yet, I can ream them out.
> Keyboard BIOS, APM BIOS, maybe USB, panel timings so far hosed.

Important safety tip with USB and laptops: many (most?) BIOS implementations
don't properly configure the PIIX interrupt router and/or PCI addresses,
so really bizarre things will happen.

NetBSD's workaround is:

options         PCIBIOS                 # PCI BIOS support
options         PCIBIOSVERBOSE          # PCI BIOS verbose info
options         PCIBIOS_ADDR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI I/O addresses
options         PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP       # fixup PCI bus numbering
options         PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI interrupt routing
options         PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP_FORCE

Linux, as far as I can tell, doesn't have a way to do this.  Didn't work
with my laptop with 2.3.xx, anyway.

-- Chris