Re: RH - question was: canna + kinput2

Jerome Limozin wrote:

> gparis@example.com wrote:
>
> > So well, I'll just give it up and boot Windoze to read Japanese... My poor
> > suffering computer may not like the idea, but will have to get used to it.
>
> Stock netscape can read japanese pages. You often have to choose manually the
> encoding -> click 'View', "Character Set", "Japanese (autodetect)".

Yes, that works.

But originally, the question was: can somebody help with
reparing the input for emacs - to type homework and maybe
even later move on to get LaTeX working for Japanese (a
dream! I discovered LaTeX a few months ago and love it)?

I got the input for emacs pretty easily installed at first,
then didn't use it for a while, and the first time I needed
it again, I got an error message that kinput can't find
canna. The cannaserver is started at boot time and working
though. I pasted the error messages and cannastat output in
a previous mail (don't have it handy). I tried forcing a
reinstallation, it didn't help. I'm only beginning under
Linux (well, had it running a year or so at home) and I'm
not a computer scientist, only a dumb (computer)linguist, so
I may have missed some obvious/easy things, but right now I
don't know where to go on looking.

> fonts may be ugly, you can try various sizes, or download other fonts from a
> japanese distro.
> You may want to download netscape from a japanese distro as well, they are able
> to let you to input japanese.

I may do that for input, good idea. I just kind of hope that
RHJ6.2 is compatible with RH7.0...

Akane