CGI fakery expertise needed

Dear all,

I've written a little CGI proxy in Python that helps me to collect
information from the Web.  Anchors and form references and whatnot are
rewritten so that they reinvoke the CGI, with a variable set to the address of
the target page.  It's working very well for the most part, but I've hit one
snag.

The Japanese Supreme Court site at:

  http://courtdomino.courts.go.jp/home.nsf/pageview?OpenView#whatsnew

messes up when accessed via my CGI tool.  The CGI is written in Python. It
uses a simple call to urllib.urlopen(url).read() to grab the file.  What I
think is happening is that the Domino server wants to place a cookie in the
calling CGI, and breaks when the magic doesn't take at this end.

I have written CGI scripts that set and retrieve cookies, but I have never
needed to mimic a browser before.  I've looked around for info on cookies, and
can't seem to find info on them anywhere.  Are they in the CGI spec?  HTTP?
HTML?  I'm sort of lost.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Frank