Re: Help with Installing Linux on a NEC PC 9821V12 machine.

Hi

I managed to find a copy of Palmo98 on CD and tried to put it on this
machine.  First I copied the boot image from the CD to a floppy.  I
booted the floppy and eventually got a shell to work in.  Not having any
file system on it except the windows partition I tried to delete this
and create an ext2 filesystem with

fdisk98

but got the error

open failed: no such device /dev/hda

I tried this trying /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, ...../dev/hdf in a vain hope it
might find something....but no success :(

Does this mean that linux is not detecting my Harddrive at all?
I think it is detecting the cdrom since there are a swag of commands in
/sbin

which are not on the boot floppy.
Any thoughts on how I can make it see the harddrive.  The harddrive can
be seen if I boot the system with a windows disk.

Cheers

Tony

>To: <tlug@example.com>
>Subject: Re: Help with Installing Linux on a NEC PC 9821V12 machine.
>From: "pietro zuco" <pietrozuco@example.com>
>Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:03:43 +0100
>
>     I had the same problem with the pc of my girl friend. It's a nec-pc98.
>     I coud access the bios by pressing the key HELP when it start, but I don't
>     know if this key is in all the nec computers.
>     I wanted to install windows 98 japanese but I coundn't because it's a
>     different architercture. I tried to find some patch, (like AMD) in the
>     microsoft page but I coudn't, but meybe there are.>
>
>    Bye
>     Pietro.

However
     > I tried to install an English version of Windows 95 on it,  I
changed to
     > the
     > CDROM and typed in setup, nothing happened, the setup program
doesn't
     > seem to
     > run, if I try and install the Japanese version of Windows 95 it
does
     > work.
     >
     > The other thing which I cannot work out is that there does not
seem to
     > be
     > any BIOS program that the user can use.  When it boots it simply
     > displays a
     > memory test to the screen and then tries to boot the floppy
followed by
     > the
     > Hard drive in that order.
     >

     > Can someone please tell me whats going on and how I can install
linux on
     > this
     > machine.
     >
     > Any help appreciated
     >
     > Cheers
     >
     > Tony

     > Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, February 16 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki
Mae