Re: Displaying kanji/kana in X

Marc Christensen <marc@example.com> writes:

> I was wondering what is nessasery to display kanji/kana under X.
> Specificaly, I have several machines that are have english distributions
> installed on them.  All I want to do is view kanji/kana and possibly
> Japanes man pages in either kvt/konsole or an xterm.  I figure it's
> possible since the kanji fonts are installed.  I beleive that the newer
> KDE console apps are internationalised but I'm not totaly sure.

konsole doesn't support it.

If you have a fairly new xterm, which already has the option -u8, you
can use it do display Japanese texts in UTF-8. Japanese texts in other
encodings (euc-jp for example) can be displayed in an UTF-8 capable
xterm by piping through "iconv" or by viewing them with "lv", which
can convert the output to UTF-8:

   lv -Iej -Ou8 yuki.euc

Others have already mentioned kterm and newer versions of rxvt.

Another possibility is Eterm, but you probably need to compile it
yourself and set the appropriate configure option. Unfortunately
compiling Eterm with --enable-multi-charset breaks it for iso-8859-*.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>