Re: Three questions

Hi Jim,

> G'day all,
>
> A few questions for the experts:
>
> (a) I have decided to bite the bullet and get a new notebook here. I've
> been checking out the ones at Akihabara, and Laox's place that
> specializes in stuff for foreigners has "Western" Toshibas, etc. at
> bearable prices, albeit higher that I'd pay in Australia for the same
> gear.
>
> 	Q: Does anyone have any suggestions of better places to try?
> 	   I really want a non-Japanese keyboard.

I bought one Toshiba Dynabook from Minami-TZone at Akihabara. You can
try there also.

> (b) 	Q: If I get a system with a 10Gb HDD, what is a good partitioning
> strategy? I want to have a usable Windows (probably 98) partition, and I
> expect I'd need to give it about 2G. What would be appropriate for the
> rest? If it's a 128Mb system, what is the optimal swap size?

   /dev/hda1    Linux-Swap                                256MB
   /dev/hda2    Linux-Native (ext2/RaiserFS)     5.5GB  (considering u
are installing

              complete Mandrake7.2)
   /dev/hda3    Windows (FAT32/NTFS)             3GB
   /dev/hda4    (anything u want)                        (rest of the
space)    (this is data partition)

> (c) I think I'll start with RH6.2, mainly because I am most used to RH's
> funny little ways, and it's the one most used at Monash. I don't really
> want to put in the J version unless it's the only way to get kterm, etc.
> working.
>
> 	Q: where is a good place to obtain the CDs of RH6.2 (non-J) around
> 	here?

Best bet is Mandrake7.2 for it's packaging and customisation. (I am
happy with it ;-D) in my
laptop though in my desktop, it sucks)

archan
devrootp@example.com