Re: Three questions

Shimpei Yamashita <shimpei@example.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:52:49PM +0900, Jim Breen wrote:

[...]

> > (c) I think I'll start with RH6.2, mainly because I am most used to RH's
> > funny little ways, and it's the one most used at Monash. I don't really
> > want to put in the J version unless it's the only way to get kterm, etc.
> > working.
>
> Given what I've heard about the RHx.yJ offerings in the past (all versions),
> this is probably a wise idea. However, be forewarned that making a
> non-Japanese-supporting Linux system support Japanese can be a royal pain
> in the butt....

I think it is not that difficult with RedHat 6.2. I have a RedHat 6.0
English system at home where I installed a lot of Japanese stuff and
it was rather easy. I compiled most things from source tarballs but also
used a few source-rpms from RedHat 6.2 J which worked without problems
after rebuilding on RedHat 6.0 English (If I remember correctly I used
the Japanese locale srpm and the kterm srpm from RedHat 6.2J).

So I think it should work quite well to start with RH6.2 English and
add Japanese programs as needed.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>