Re: RH7J vs. JIS keyboard layout

In my experience the problem is exactly the opposite.  The keyboard mapping
is unusable when X is running.  As you say, someone did a hack to fix yours.
However, on one machine where I installed 7.0J, for some reason I shut down
the X server one time and the keyboard worked correctly in console mode.  I
haven't tried it again after editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (which made it
work under X).