RH7J vs. Canna

Please help.  I installed Red Hat 7J on 4 machines.  Henkan works on 2 of
them.

As far as I can tell, the difference between one of the working
installations and one of the non-working installations is a difference of
one package.
Working:  kinput2-canna
Non-working:  kinput2-canna-wnn6

In addition, the following packages are installed on both:
  Canna
  FreeWnn
  FreeWnn-common
  Wnn6-SDK
  ddskk
  dbskkd-cdb
  skkdic
  skkinput
  kakasi
  kkc
  kon2
  kon2-fonts
I think I probably don't even need half of these, but they didn't generate
any "conflict" reports when I gnorpm'ed them in.

On the non-working machines, I try to input a command like this:
  echo 東京
Shift-space starts romaji-kana conversion so I get as far as:
  echo とうきょう
but then the space key just beeps.  In fact the enter key also just beeps so
I can't even get muhenkan kana into the input.  Backspace works and if I
back out of all the kana then the enter key sends the command line (to echo
nothing).

I found some messages in the archives and tried an experiment.  Even though
kinput2 is already running as a daemon (though I can't find where it gets
started), I tried running this command:
  kinput2 -canna -xim -kinput &
but there was no change.  I killed the background task but left the original
daemon still running and there was still no change.

(Of course when henkan works I still can't read half of what I input, and
even if I input kana I can't remember the meanings of half of what I input
^_^   But I still need to do it sometimes.  Anyone who knows how, please
help.)

Yours sincerely,
Norman Diamond