Re: BOOTP install on SS20

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Jack Morgan wrote:

> Having trouble installing via network. In Debian, I've managed getting the
> package DHCP[1] up and running

> [1] It was recommended to me by other TLUG members to use BOOTP. In Debian,
> the package BOOTP's description says something like "this package isn't
> being maintained upstream, so use the package DHCP instead".

I think the "use DHCP instead" advice applies to the case where you have
some choice about what protocol your clients are using.  In your case, I
don't believe the SS20 supports getting its IP address via DHCP (this
would be a function of the open boot prom, and I don't think DHCP protocol
support was included in the SS20 OBP).

These days a lot of dhcp servers support using the bootp protocol as well
-- if yours does, then configure it to answer bootp requests.  Otherwise,
use the non-maintained bootp server -- you are only going to use it once
so who cares if it's buggy/unmaintained.

As for the ethernet connection, if you don't have a hub and are connecting
directly nic<->nic then you should definitely use a cross cable.

When using a cross cable it is sometimes necessary to power up the
machines at both ends of the link simultaneously in order to get them to
believe they have ethernet carrier.

I believe many NICs use an algorithm something like this when powering on:

	1) look for carrier (in the process, send your own carrier)
	2) if you don't see carrier after x ms, give up
	3) wait for carrier to be present for more than y ms, if seen,
           bring link up

Now, this works fine when connecting via a hub, but with a cross cable, if
x < y, then the only way to get them talking to each other is to get them
both in step 1 (right after power on) at the same time, so they see each
other's initial carrier.

Don't worry about the bad magic number error -- that just means your disk
doesn't have a valid Sun disklabel on it.  It will get one as part of the
OS install process.
--
Tod McQuillin