Re: Wnn problem

jwb@example.com (Jim Breen) writes:

> >> From: SL Baur <steve@example.com>
> >> Date: 19 Jan 2001 13:40:59 +0900

> >> There are RPMs on our FTP site, but ...
> >> I doubt we still have any that are compatible with libc5.  You're
> >> probably going to have rebuild from source.
>
> Is there a completely patched SRPM?

You could try WXG:

http://www.aisoft.co.jp/japanese/ainews/news/freewxgl.asp

Quote from this page:

WXG> ●動作確認済み OS:
WXG>  以下の OS 上で、WXG サーバの動作を確認しています。
WXG>
WXG>  ■Linux
WXG>  ・Red Hat Linux 5.2J / 6.0J / 6.1 改訂 日本語
WXG> [...]

So it might run out of the box on your RedHat 5.2 system.

WXG is compatible to Canna, i.e. it speaks the same protocol.
Clients like kinput2, Mule, XEmacs, canuum work together with
WXG in the same way as they do with Canna. You will notice
almost no difference if you are running WXG instead of Canna,
only that the conversion quality is somewhat better.
Everything else works the same.

You can download WXG from http://www.ekotoba.com, but only a binary,
no source. And you cannot redistribute it.

I tried WXG on SuSE 7.1 and it works well.  But as it is not free
software, I am still using mainly Canna.

> >> You will also have to
> >> make sure your X11 is compiled with -DX_LOCALE since your only
> >> Japanese support will be from the X11 libraries and not the C
> >> library.
>
> My straight_off_the_CD X11 runs kterm OK, and used to run kinput2/wnn
> before it went belly up. Surely I don't have to remake it for
> kinput2/canna?

I guess if it worked previously with kinput2/wnn, it should
continue working with kinput2/canna or kinput2/wxgserver.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>