Sparc info from meeting

Genuine Sparc20's! What a nice bonus for attending a TLUG meeting!

As soon as I got home I had to open up the Sparc20's and see what was there.
I was quite happy to find one machine with an SM71 75MHz CPU, so I added
memory (neither of the machines had any memory) and a couple of HDs, and am
presently waiting while my original issue CDROM slowly transfers files to
memory and starts to boot the install from Solaris 8. I don't have a current
Linux Sparc Distro just now.....:-(, but I like Solaris too. Of course the
install is none to flexible, and if I tell it to do DHCP, I get a core dump
and have to start over.

For others who picked up machines, here's the order to insert memory
modules:

J0201, J0303, J0202, J0301 J0305, J0203, J0302, J0304.

Need memory?

ebay, of course. While Sparc10 memory will work, there are two kinds of it,
60 and 70 ns memory--for the Sparc20, you want the 60 ns.

Sparc5 memory will not work in the Sparc10 or 20.

Check out http://www.memoryx.net/sparc20.html for all kinds of Sparc parts,
including memory, pretty reasonable prices compared to other commercial
outfits.

And here's more information than most people might want about the speed and
characteristics of various Sparc CPU's.
http://members.tripod.com/uutil/mbus/ There will be a barcode and part
number on the module itself--either printed on a sticker on the PC board or
you'll have to remove the module and get it off the MBUS connecter. They all
start 501, and then the next four numbers identify the particular CPU, and
you can look it up in the chart at the URL above.

Here's another place that sells used Sun stuff, a bit more expensive than
Memoryx.

I've bought recently from Memoryx, and the parts arrived in about a week.
Shipping wasn't too expensive

Lots of good Sparc and Solaris info here:
http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/faqs.sun.html.

Any of you real experts have some additional suggestions?

Steve

Stephen N. Carter
Tokyo, Japan
carter@example.com