Re: Where is SourceForge?

At Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:46:54 +0900,
Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan@example.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have news about what's happening to the
> Sourceforge. I haven't been able to access
> http://sourceforge.net for the last few weeks now.

Got this from SourceForge:

Subject: SourceForge Update:
From: nobody <nobody@example.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:45:55 -0800

SOURCEFORGE: Site News and Updates

0. IT: Server Move and Current Status
1. Finding Site status info (weather report)
2. Recent Feature Updates
3. Trove Category Council
4. Subdomain Exports
5. VA Linux Affiliate Underground
6. Open Magazine Signup

0. IT: SERVER MOVE AND CURRENT STATUS

Shortly before the holidays, SourceForge moved to a co-location facility. In
general the move went smoothly and gave us a chance to greatly beef up the
hardware powering the site. There have been a few growing pains, which folks
are working hard to address:

  - SSH/SCP: There were problems last week with SSH/SCP. These problems
should be fixed. (There were some additional problems linked to chroot
issues, so if you are unable to execute specific programs, please submit a
support request.)

  - ACCOUNT CREATION: There are some issues with account and project
creation. For now, it's not completely automatic, so it may take up to 72
hours until ssh access and home directories are enabled. Our IT staff is
working to fix the problem.

  - STATS: We are aware that statistical reporting is broken. One of our
developers is tasked with doing nothing but fixing the problems. The
developer tasked with fixing this problem has been out sick. As soon as he
recovers and gets back online, he'll be working on nothing but stats until
they're fixed. (That being said, it should also be noted that knowing what
project has the top downloads is nice, but making sure the site works on a
fundamental level is our top priority.) As consolation, the stats fix will
included upgraded monitoring... more on this to come.

  - FTP SERVERS COMING ONLINE: We are currently operating with a single FTP
server located on the East Coast, which is bandwidth constrained. We also
recently announced a partnership with ibiblio who will be hosting a third
FTP mirror. This mirror is currently syncing (given its size, it should take
about a week). We have a third FTP server destined to be our replacement
West Coast server that is currently undergoing burn-in testing and which we
will hopefully have sometime next week to begin the sync process.

1: SITE STATUS

When SourceForge first started, a year ago, it was possible to post a status
update to #sourceforge and reach a good chunk of our most active developers
in one shot. Today, a year later, with over 13,500 projects and 100,000
users, it's not so easy.

We're actively working to make sure the community can get up to date
information about known issues and our plans to resolve them. In general, it
has been our philosophy to try and avoid constant email updates. In keeping
with that philosophy, we have created a site "weather report" page called
"Site Status," that's linked on the left-hand navigation bar, where users
can get
updated information about the site.

We have also clarified the supported and available services on the project
shell server. Please see
<http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2441&group_id=1>

2. RECENT FEATURE UPDATES

Since our last update, we've rolled out feature updates including:

  - NEW FORUMS VIEW: The "ultimate" forum view (now active threads stay at
the top of the list).

  - DEVELOPER ROLES: Projects can create a "release manager" role, so
non-admins can make file releases. Projects can also select role
descriptions which appear on their "view members" developer rosters.

  - HELP WANTED: Project help wanted notices are now linked directly from
project home pages, to reach more visitors. (The Help Wanted Board also
displays the most recent postings.)

  - PATCH MANAGER: Contributors can now include initial comments with their
submitted code patches.

3. TROVE CATEGORY COUNCIL

>From time to time, we receive Trove file category requests on the message
boards. In an efforts to make adding new categories / entries a more
rigorous process, we've created a "Trove Category Creation" forum. Please
post and discuss all category/entry requests here. Once a month, we'll have
our crack team of software librarians (Dtype and ESR) review and update the
schema.

Just a reminder, if your project hasn't categorized itself in Trove, you're
not in the filemap and it's harder for users to find you.

4. SUBDOMAIN EXPORTS

Last update, we publicized the fact that projects can now automatically
display overview development data (number of bugs, support requests, tasks,
forum posts, etc.) on their project subdomain pages. Projects can also
export news items.

To learn how to make this happen, see the SourceForge documentation:
<http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=1502&group_id=1>

If you set this up, send us a note so we can check it out
(staff@example.com).

-------------
5. VA LINUX AFFILIATE UNDERGROUND - NEW COOL STUFF

Last summer, VA Linux rolled out a VA Linux/Community banner program. By
displaying VA Linux and Open Source project banners on your content pages
(hosted on SourceForge or anywhere else), you can earn points redeemable for
t-shirts and cool stuff. (It`s not that hard, you get a point per banner
impression, and prizes start at 5000 points.)

Now more cool stuff is available, including:
  - LinuxChix, Freshmeat, Slashdot, ThinkGeek t-shirts
  - Those super-bright photon LED keychains
  - An MP3/CD player

Find out more and sign up at:
<http://www.valinux.com/about/affiliates/affiliate.html>

6. Open Magazine
Open Magazine is an OSDN publication focused specifically on Linux and Open
Source. The January issue's cover story is on clustering. Subscriptions are
free to those who quality, see <http://www.openmagazine.net/subscribe.shtml>

This email was sent from sourceforge.net. To change your email receipt
preferences, please visit the site and edit your account via the
"Account Maintenance" link.

Direct any questions to admin@example.com, or reply to this email.