Mail software freezes when sending mail

Hello,

I'm having another problem, and hope someone can help.

Often when I'm sending mail with Netscape (or even the KDE2 mail app), the
application freezes up when trying to contact my provider's mail server.
It's happened with both RedHat 7 and Kondara2000, but never with Netscape on
Windows98SE or MacOS 9.  This happens about 1/3 of the time, but the other
2/3 of the time the mail goes off nicely.

Has anyone heard of such a problem?