Newbie/Wannabe

Hi all,

Sorry for this long post, but I need advice on getting into Linux, or
whether I should stay away. Since I live in Tokyo...I came here.

A little background so you can get a handle on my level. I learned
about database driven web pages through FileMaker Pro/Lasso on
Macintoshes. I've built a quite complex product that I'm selling
using this system. (*Simple* demo at http://www.app-comm.com/demo/
Most of the database/scripting examples are in the last few pages.)
I've got two Mac servers that I admin via Timbuktu--the servers are
in my main client's server room (Hitachi group) in central Tokyo.

Well...Hitachi doesn't like my Macs and now that I've "gotten an
education" I know that FileMaker is friendly, but the slowest
database on the planet and is truly holding up my application. Also,
my uneducated design isn't very optimized...I've also got a memory
leak in the web server (I use WebTen's Apache for Mac) that I can't
find...time to switch!

So, I've gotten funding to rebuild my application. I've hired a
professional programmer to do the core design work, but I'm going to
be assisting him. We're using Linux/Apache/PostgreSQL/PHP4 for the
rebuild. The server is on the programmer's ADSL line and I have root
access. I'm studying/playing with PHP like mad.

One more thing...I've never really touched a Wintel computer--only Macs.

Finally, my questions:

1. Do you think it wise of me to set up a Linux box to work on
    building this system? I know next to nothing about Linux/Unix.
    I can do everything I need to on a Mac (BBEdit to write HTML
    and PHP code on the server). But, I'd like to start using
    Linux if it won't be too long before I can be productive on
    it. I don't need to install Apache/PostgreSQL/PHP on this
    machine, but it might not be a bad idea if I try it.

2. If I do go with Linux, where in Tokyo can I get a cheap box
    to put it on? Would it be okay to just buy a used PC off of
    someone in Tokyo Classified? I'm getting an ADSL line
    installed soon (there IS an Easter bunny!) that I'll connect
    to--which might have some impact on this question.

3. What flavor of Linux should I (as a newest of newbies having
    never compiled anything in my life). I read on this list some
    time ago someone dissing Mandrake because it took shortcuts
    in order to make loading easy. Easy sounds great to me!

4. Any other advice? Easy text editors? Easy FTP clients?

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Regards,
Rod
Rod Holmes
AppComm Head Trainer