available

Evening,

How can I update /var/lib/dpkg/available automatically?
dpkg --update-avail needs a packages file.
Do I have to download this manually, or is there some other more
convenient way (like apt-get update) ?

Secondly, I can't get xdvi to display Japanese.
I installed xdvi-ja also, but it segfaults on dvi files containing
Japanese.
xdvi.tetex runs, but it displays tons of error messages about missing
fonts like "! I can't find file `dmjsy10'.", though I have this font as
dmjsy10.tfm
Searching for the term "xdvi" in the tlug list archieve gives an
"Internal Server Error ....". :O
Could someone at least name the latex/tex packages and versions that
_work_ with Japanese .

thanks,
B0Ti.