RE: Column layout in TeX

OZAWA -Crouton- Sakuro writes:
 > At Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:12:24 +0900,
 > Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> wrote:
 >
 > >> How do I get LaTex to create at two column layout, with an
 > >> abstract spanning the two columns?
 >
 > > Have you tried \documentclass[twocolumn]{article}?
 >
 > IIRC, 'twocolumn' (*) style does not fit to ulriks wish. It places the
 > abstract in first column only, and does not align the bottoms of the
 > colomns.
 >
 > Is 'multicol' style still available in modern LaTeX2e? (I only have
 > experience of classic LaTeX, none of 2e:-)

I just looked it up in an old paper, try this:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{amsmath,amscd,amssymb,subfigure,epsfig,array}
\twocolumn

\begin{document}
\title{Spectral Properties of the Chalker-Coddington Network}
\author{Marcus Metzler}
\author{\small\parbox{14.1cm}{\small
%\begin{abstract}
We numerically investigate the spectral statistics of pseudo-energies
for the unitary network operator $U$ of the Chalker--Coddington network.
We show that those statistics agree with results obtained for other models
of quantum Hall systems, by analyzing the shape of the spacing distribution
$P(s)$.
%\end{abstract}
PACS: 71.23.AN, 71.30.+h, 73.40.Hm, 71.50.+t, 72.15.Rn
}}
\maketitle
\section{Introduction}
\label{sec:intro}
And here is the rest blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

\end{document}