Re: problems with samba

Hector,

I assume that the Windows machines can access yours if they specify
the path explicitly, they just don't see it in the Network Neighborhood.

As I understand it, the browsing function in the SMB protocol
only works on the same subnet. So if your machine is on another
subnet, you will need to set up a WINS server. That's what nmbd does,
if you turn it on.

Here are the settings for our local Samba machine that serves as
the master WINS server:

 [global]
    workgroup = ASIA
    netbios name = CALVIN
    server string = (%v, %h)
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password level = 9
    debug level = 2
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    keepalive = 30
    load printers = No
    os level = 65
    lm announce = True
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    wins support = Yes
    config file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
    lock directory = /var/tmp/samba
    hosts allow = 129.179.
    strict locking = Yes

Regards,