Re: rsync

> Well, they *do* call it "unstable". But my guess, if you're having
> problems, is that you just downloaded the files you wanted via ftp
> and stuck them on your hard disk?

The corruption is not because of "unstable".
I got the 5 cd set downloaded by a friend who burned them for me.  I happily started the
installation, but the fifth cd was physically damaged and the 2nd I couldn't get apt to
correctly read the packages data.
I proceeded with the install though and now I have almost a bare bones system.
Then I copied all the stuff that was readable from the cds to my harddisk, but still
can't get apt to work with it because of the Packages files are not correct.
I only have less than 200 megs missing.

> 3) Edit /etc/apt/sources.list so that it contains something the
> following:

> #deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> #deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
> 7) Enjoy several hours of downloading fun.

This is what I can't afford, because it would be several days or weeks to finish.

> (You might be able to
> avoid some of this by putting the debs that you've already downloaded
> into /var/cache/apt/archives/partial, but I've never tried doing it
> like this, and I can't guarantee that it will work).

I could try this, but this means I have to manually move all the packages from my
current and correct woody directory tree.

> Get the potato CDs, install that, and download, compile, and install
> source packages from Woody when you want the latest and greatest
> version of something else.

Eventually I will get to the source packages to get the optimized packages I was crying
for.
But getting potato would mean waiting another week.

Right now i'm looking at the mirror perl proggy hoping that it can upgrade and correct
my woody install tree.

B0Ti.