Japanese fonts in xemacs

    Simon> Another quick question: my ordinary Xemacs fonts are
    Simon> lovely, but the Japanese ones are way too small. I can't
    Simon> find a way to up the size of them. How can this be done?

(1) Remove all calls to `custom-set-fonts' in your init files
(~/.emacs or ~/.xemacs{init,custom}.el.
(2) Set fonts like so in .emacs or init.el:

    (set-face-font 'default XLFD 'global '(mule-fonts) 'prepend)

where XLFD is an XLFD such as you can get from xlsfonts or xfontsel.
(3) Light torch, turn to max, toast Jan Vroonhof and Hrvoje Niksic.
I've been bitching about this for years.  Every time I go to look at
the code, it's more fucked up so I don't touch it.

You cannot use the font menus or customize with anything except the
iso-8859-* families.  Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Russians, Indians,
Thais, Vietnamese, etc are all screwed.