Re: system load

vp@example.com said:
-> Actually, I've been looking for a standard monitoring tool to watch
-> the system behavior during load tests. I use top but it's rather tiresome.

You might want to try
http://freshmeat.net/projects/lavaps/?highlight=lava:

> LavaPS is an interactive process-tracking program like ``top'', but with
> a much different attitude. Rather than presenting lots of specific info
> in digital form, it tries to present certain important information in a
> graphical analog form. The idea is that you can run it in the background
> and get a rough idea of what's happening to your system without devoting
> much concentration to the  task.

You can just have some fun watching it :)

vp@example.com said:
-> Are demanding what? Memory, CPU or both?..

LavaPS shows both memory and CPU usage (and some other things as well).
Advantage over top, xload etc. is that you see how the things are
changed as time goes on.

vp@example.com said:
-> Also, I should say that it's HPUX, and I'm sure they won't allow me to
-> install a nice free monitoring program there...

You'll nee Tcl/Tk for this, though.

--
Dmytro