Re: restoring the MBR

  + On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:50:58 +0900
  + Subject restoring the MBR

Yamagata Hiroo writes:
|Hi guys, I'm in Mongolia now and I need help: I screwed up lilo,
|and I need to restore my MBR to the original state. What was the
|command for that in DOS?
|
|I thought it was
|
|> fdisk /mbr

`fdisk /mbr' means `install DOS boot loader to the boot
sector'. I'm not sure that is "the original state" what you
call.

So, if you don't have Linux loader in linux root partition
or floppy disc, you cannot boot Linux. In this case,
using GRUB boot floppy is good idea. You can make GRUB boot
floppy like this,

	DOS prompt> rawite -f grub.raw

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-0.5.96-i386-pc.ext2fs
ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/packages/Vine/Vine-2.1/i386/dosutils/rawrite.exe

of course, you need to rename grub-0.5.96-i386-pc.ext2fs to
grub.raw under DOS. GRUB is very wonderful.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.ja.html
http://duff.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~okuji/grub.html

						Susumu Takuwa
-----