Re: Open Ports

Antony Stace wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> I have just set up a CVS server running RH5.2 and noticed a few ports
> open on it.  I want to turn off anything I don't need.  All I need to be
> able to do on this box is to
>
> 1.  telnet to/from it

Why not use ssh instead ?
That would be more secure than telnet and there also are free
Windows Clients available (putty for example).

> 2.  ftp to to/from it
> 3.  run my cvs server on it
>
> so can someone please tell me which of the following I can turn off
> without breaking something.  I am a little bewildered why the linuxconf
> program needs to be sitting on a port, does anyone know why this is the
> case, can you access this program over the network?

Normally you can just disable all ports you don't need in your
/etc/inetd.conf.
If no entries are left, you can even disable inetd completely ^__^
But if you want to use some of these locally you could set up a
firewall, so only certain ports will be accessible from the outside.
(That's what I did on my machine)

Tobias Diedrich