Mailing List Archive
Support open source code!
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: RedHat Install on Vaio Z505CR/K fails - HELP!
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: RedHat Install on Vaio Z505CR/K fails - HELP!
- From: Phil Cummins <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:49:15 +0900
- Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
- Content-Type: text/plain; charset=euc-jp
- Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resent-From: email@example.com
- Resent-Message-ID: <xi7xh.A.jo.uNjH6@example.com>
- Resent-Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hello all, Many thanks again to everyone for their helpful suggestions. It turned out that I just had to ensure that linux was booting within the 1024 cylinder limit, which I did by making a separate boot partition as the first partition. Sorry if I seemed a litte frantic (I was!). The setup was configured to boot off the HDD, and the linux partition was active, it was just a problem with the placement of the boot partition, apparently. I also renabled the LBA - it sounded like this was a good idea for big disks? - anyway it seems to work OK. Now Linux boots, or at least almost does. It now freeezes on initialization of the USB interface, which may be due to the problem David Beutel mentioned about USB legacy mode, which is supported in the BIOS. Anyway, I'm hoping I can work around this. Thanks also to David for mentioning ACPI. I had never heard of this, but it does seem to be what my Z505CR/K uses, and it is supported in Linux, but only in kernel 2.4 test releases. I will fight that battle later. David also mentioned: > Does your manufacturer claim that your model supports > any other operating systems? Ha,ha,ha! My (limited) experience has been that most vendors, and many salespeople, don't want to know about any other operating systems, especially Linux. I understand this situation is changing fairly quickly in the US, but probably not in Japan? (certainly nothing about Linux support in the doco I've seen). Thanks again everyone. -- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Phil R Cummins email@example.com Frontier Research for Subduction Dynamics tel(i/d):81/0-468-67-3393 JAMSTEC, 2-15 Natsushima-cho fax(i/d):81/0-468-67-3409 Yokosuka 237-0061, Japan
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: mail filtering
- Next by Date: Re: mail filtering
- Prev by thread: Re: RedHat Install on Vaio Z505CR/K fails - HELP!
- Next by thread: Re: RedHat Install on Vaio Z505CR/K fails - HELP!
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links