Re: Python discussion, anybody?

    Thomas> everything had to be declared first, then python could
    Thomas> throw out an error when it hit the undeclared variable
    Thomas> typo memmber.

Ah, is that what he was complaining about.  I thought he was having
namespace confusion, since the example involved both class-scope and
global-scope uses of the identifier.

As a long-time Lisp programmer, I much prefer dynamic typing, as it
allows you to create arbitrary properties for objects dynamically.  In
Python you get that feature without the syntactic annoyance of `(put
'object 'key 'value)' and `(get 'object 'key)'.

This is obviously a matter of personal preference.  If his usages are
such that he doesn't need dynamic properties, strong typing may be a
great convenience for spell-checking.  If your programming style is
object-oriented and involves a lot of dynamic instance-specific
properties (which is true for many Python advocates, Guido even put in
lambda forms to define anonymous functions), then strong typing is a
massive PITA that just needs to be subverted.