Re: symlink destination

> A shell programming question:
>
> Is there a way to find out the destination of a symbolic link (the
> file it links to) from a sh script? Parsing the output of `ls -l' is a
> possibility but it doesn't feel right.

Not part of any shell per se, but there's a tiny program called
"chase" that does exactly this. Mine was included with my debian
distribution, but you can probably find/download it somewhere (try
ftp://ftp.jyu.fi/private/antkaij/ -- it's what was listed in the
copyright documentation) If nothing else, you can download the source
from debian.org.

cheers,
john

--